What is LibrariesWest?
LibrariesWest is one of the leading public library consortia in the UK, and is a partnership between Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire library services. It is seen as an example of good practice where authorities work together to achieve significant economies of scale and deliver better services for customers.
LibrariesWest is about doing things better together, and we have adopted the strap line ‘Get more from your library’.
Customers can use their membership card in any one of the 100 + libraries across the consortium to borrow, return and reserve items, and use the computers to access the internet and office programmes. They also have access to a joint catalogue, which has the facility to interlend all stock, including DVDs, CDs and computer games.
Facts and figures (based on 2010-11 financial year)
- LibrariesWest serves a resident population in excess of 1.5 million across an area of 1,847 sq miles, through a network of more than 100 static and mobile libraries.
- We also provide a Library Management System to 4 prisons, a Schools Library Service and a number of schools and Learning Support Centres.
- In 2010/11 267,873 people - around 1 in 6 of the population - borrowed items from our libraries.
- Our shared catalogue contains around 2 million items and around 770,000 individual titles.
- Almost 9 million items were loaned from our libraries last year.
- 366,910 items were supplied to customers during 2010/11 from within the stock of the five authorities to satisfy reservations,
a 4.4% increase on the previous year - 79% were supplied within 15 days, a 1% decrease on the previous year.
- 345 reader reviews were submitted on the web during the year, making a total of 2087 reviews in total for customers to view.
- 534 borrowers made comments online about the library service during 2010/11 - all had individual responses.
Each year LibrariesWest produces an annual report, and these can be downloaded here:
Details of library services in each of the LibrariesWest authorities, including contact details can be found on their web sites: